Friday, October 31, 2008

Moving... but will there be change?

We are presently living in a single bedroom apartment on 4th floor. There are not many Indians living in these apartments and the ones who are here are a family with 2-3 kids, so there's no one here I can relate to. There's just no possibility of gossip or talks or sharing food or get togethers... its just all by myself or with Partha.
Though this building has around 250 apartments, believe it or not - I just don't come across anyone when I am in the corridor or elevator. And if I come across someone, it'll be an old woman or an old man walking slowly on their way to the car or to their apartment. All day long I sit on the sofa next to a window and till date I haven't seen anyone using their balcony or even standing near the window. It is just so strange, I can't believe it! Yes, I know the weather is extreme sometimes but what the heck, why don't these Americans use their outdoor space? At least the balcony, come on! During summer, there were these three months when I would find around 10 ppl or so sun-bathing near the swimming pool during the day time. That's it - there is no sight of people otherwise. Not even when I am on road - there are absolutely no pedestrians... its just cars zooming around, sometimes I even feel the car is just going by itself with no one driving it! It's that silent and deserted everywhere!
Ok, I've been going on a tangent... here I was to talk about our moving to another apartment in this building. Our move comprises of a tiny change - a balcony. We finalised on this move around 4 months ago. What change would this move bring in our living is still a doubt! But there are a few things for me - a dish tv, an approval by Partha for further decors in the house and a balcony (the balcony can be put to use only for having the dish antenna and some extra light in the living room and for deco purpose by having a nice curtain... I don't see when we can actually stand there - not just because of the freezing temperatures now, but also because of the reason that nobody here ever hangs out there!). And then the arranging thing that'll happen for the next few days which'll keep a jobless house-wife occupied. The dish tv i'm hoping will surely also bring in some timepass for me... all these days, though we have a really good tv, I never watched it. It is mainly coz there are no good channels and then, because its a HDTV (high-def TV) the normal cable gives a bad quality picture. Partha was also very unwilling to change it to a digital cable - and so it just remained like that. But now with the dish, I'll have some Indian channels (MTV, Star One, NDTV) to watch and also a whole lot of HD channels with an additional feature of "DVR" through which you can record your shows minus the ads and later watch them whenever u have the time! Amazing, right?
So that is what'll be the change - which probably will feel good for a month or so I guess coz it'll keep me occupied... beyond that period, I'm not sure if it'll effect us. There are some apartments here nearby which is the "little India" here in Pitt. Driving thru that place itself feels like u are in ur Indian community... u'll see ppl strolling on the road, ppl talking in groups, kids generally playing and running, house-wives playing shuttle in tennis courts, cars parked wherever at owner's convenience, etc! Everytime I go there, I feel I should move to an apartment there... but sadly I was not able to persuade Partha. All the things that I like abt Indians living there... Partha just doesn't like them, esp the things I mentioned above. Partha is too "American-ized" for that. And also, those apartments are a bit more costly compared to here. But Partha does mention one strong point abt that place - most of the Indians living there are the ones who come to Pitt for a short stay, a couple of years or so... and so he says, they are the kind to whom we cannot relate to... as they live like they are in India, for example - sticking to the Indian variety of veggies, food, restaurants, clothes, having only Indian group of friends, watching only Indian movies, talking only their native language, etc. Most of these ppl also will have wives who live at home... Hmm, all these things don't sound all that bad. Knowing at least someone, even one among the whole thousands of Indians, is I feel better than living at a place where there is absolutely nobody! Hmm, as of now, I would want to believe Partha when he says I cannot relate to the ppl in "little India" of Pitt... it might turn out for our own good - the "change" we are moving for.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment