Monday, May 18, 2009

MS and me

MS in US is the most common thing any dependent wife with either a lil' bit push from inside (she is bored of sitting at home) or push from outside (earning money reasons) will do.
I have already completed 2 of my courses here at RMU. I got an A and a B+. Not bad for the effort I put in! I led a normal house-wife kinda life even during the peak time of the courses. My anniversary, Puerto Rico trip, potlucks, get-togethers, day-outs and me falling sick for a long time in between all this... and my cooking... all this jus kept me away from my studies. I hardly did anything - and the grades, ahh... shouldn't have got that! I mean, both the courses were taught by some tough profs and yet! Well if it's so easy getting good grades, what'll ever motivate me to study more?? sigh!
One of the courses was "Decision Support systems". Here the cool prof "Packy" taught us MS Excel and Access. He is such a funny guy. Always loved his classes. I used to have a very hard time controlling my laughter at the funny things he told and the funny mistakes he used to make. The class had an average age of 35-40 yr olds. There as absolutely no one who was interested to talk or stay even a minute after the class ended. All what we can learn and do in assignments were given online so there was even no need to attend all classes. In fact, out of the 8, I attended only 5. The assignments were also not that great as he solved similar stuff in his ppts. So though they were very time consuming, I hardly applied my brain. But the good thing is, I learnt all that he taught.
The other course was DBMS. The name of this course itself brings so many events into my mind, a student from VCE IT! Though we had this course during our engineering, we were never taught. All of us learnt it in groups and scored minimum marks. Well, what happened was, we were assigned a new prof for this course and she was a young lady. We made so much fun of her in the classes that she started crying and abandoned coming to our class. It had obviously become a big issue and there was no one to teach almost the whole sem! So DBMS always remained the toughest of all courses for me as I hardly understood anything.
In this univ too, jus for another experience sake in DBMS, I got a gay prof. He is more than 55 yrs old but gay!!! Again, I had a hard time not laughing in this class too. But this gay guy... ah, gave me a hard time. He was totally wierd. Instead of giving us a print-out of what he is expecting to see in the assignments before we actually submit it, he handed out those print-outs after assignment evaluation. I was like... you mus be crazy! How can you jus cut points? You shud have given it to us before we submitted the thing, you stupid gay professor! So well, I did lose some points in the beginning, but after I got a hang of this gay - I did well. So that's why the B+ and not A :(
Strange thing about the MS I'm doin is, it hardly feels like college. It had the main criteria of the low fee I was looking for and also, no thesis for getting a Masters! These two points dragged me to the univ, but what the heck, it's not college!! Can you believe I don't have a single friend (other than one desi gal) even after completing 2 courses? The (old)age of my classmates is like a big wall between them and me. It's funny to see not jus one - but so many men/women with grey hair and may be even having kids of my age studying with me in the same class!
The course schedule is also a bit funny... I mean, jus 8 weeks? Only 8 classes per course?? By the time I get a hang of the prof and the course - the course has ended! hahaha!!!
Not jus that - It's been almost 3 weeks and I am still on a break. It'll last another week now. Break from what, man?? Don't even know how the two courses ended. I'm so so totally totally bored with this break. I dont' even have that lil' studying to do. The next term, I registered for only 1 course - Project Management. Since the sun is here now, I want to spend some time with him :-) So will get back to being a book-worm when he goes away. And don't ask me why Project Management. It was the only "good" course being offered this time.
The best thing I'm liking about my MS is the independence I'm getting with it! I have my own thing to do now! I drive to school, I have my studies to do, my assignments to do, my time to manage :D wow, it makes me feel so good! I can possibly even have a set of my friends - though I don't see that happening too much actually. But whenever someone talks to me for somethin, I get totally excited! :D It's like yayy... he might become my friend! ;) hmm.. still waiting for one though...

So yes, it's a good time out for myself with this MS thing. It's pluses all the way - no much effort, occupies my free time, less fee, no thesis, will get a Masters degree at the end of it, that too in jus a year, have an internship option during MS, an OPT after it's done and also giving me an option to look for jobs in Data Warehousing after it's done.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Well..that just about described my MS experience in an obscure university. I was lucky enough to have at least a couple of friends though.

    I find it amusing how apathetic the other students usually are. They just run away after class and don't bother to interact at all. This is so very unlike our Indian college experience! You will get the hang of it in a couple of semesters!! Keep rocking!

    ReplyDelete