So it's been more than a year since I've come to the US but still haven't gone out anywhere alone. All what you are, what you know holds no meaning when you are in a new place with no identity. Anyways so finally - I got set up (with a lot of difficulty) with a group of desi house-wife gals who live a lil' far away in the "little India" of Pitt. Yes, I'm not living in my own country and also not living in the "little" chance of "India" that I have - obviously you should know I don't have any say and it's a worthless argument to even give a start. What will you try and explain to a person who loves his "privacy", doesn't like "Indian" environment and cannot understand/picture how it is to live alone all the while for a whole long year not knowing any other face other than the one living in the same apartment.
So these gals in the little colony of India do live in the "Indian" environment. I wanted to be one of them even though I was not living there. So I worked really hard to get into their group - took me a year! I invited people, cooked for them, entertained them, told them I am very interested in whatever they do as a group, tried hard to remove from their minds what my hubby had put in theirs' (about involving me in their activities), took intiative and showed enthusiasm for any get-togethers, etc. So now, I am a part of the group finally.
Here I dont' want to judge how I feel and what I get to talk or whether I get to talk in the group - I just want some time out for myself on my own!!! That's what I'm aiming for and I'm happy I got it. I sometimes find it strange as they are not as "talkative" as how much a group of gals can be!
I got to spend a whole day out with those gals in a mall and later in a park. To my hubby's and my big surprise, I didn't shop for anything though I visited a big mall and though everyone was desperately buying something or looking for something to get their husbands buy it for them. Well... guess I had my mind clear... I want a time out! That's all about it!
I even found a new friend. All thanks to dear Saras. It's her sister-in-law Krithika!!! Saras did tell me one day that she'll ask her bhabhi to call me. Though I gave her the number, I was not so sure if I'll really get a call coz it's almost no chance when it's someone's bhabhi is to give u a call jus coz shez living in US too. But, I sure did get one and wow, what an amazing feeling. Just to be given a call by a stranger and knowing that they are actually interested in talking to you!
And what a bonus for me - she was an amazing person! Unique like I've not known before. Talented, down-to-earth, frank, innocent, fun, talkative, intelligent and beautiful with a good heart! And the best thing is, she most of the time spoke word-to-word exactly like what I feel about most of the stuff. So I had a great time relating - and of course the base is that both of us found ourselves in a new land as house-wives. But really - you can be sure that most of the house-wives (or all of them that I got to know here) would have been house-wives whether it was in India or here it didn't matter. Hmm, so I could hardly relate to them. But it's nice - to finally get to have some little time on my own in the city which was harsh on me for the whole year - and well ya, people can blame me for saying I have been a lazy dumb ass for sitting at home... well, hmm.... I don't blame them. Guess they are partly right too - though not completely right.
Thanks for reading.
Friday, May 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment